Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Where the Red Ferns Grow

I remember reading that book back in 7th grade English, and I also remember getting yelled at by my teacher for being 4 chapters ahead of the class. I was so immersed in the book, a boy, his 2 dogs, doing what they loved to do. At that time I didn't have a dog at all only a bi-polar cat named Princess. I was so envious of Billy running around the country with Old Dan and Little Ann, winning their Championship Hunting Event, and doing things I could only dream of.

Today I pulled out my old copy of "Where the Red Ferns Grow" by Wilson Rawls and sat outside in the nice warm sun reading it. The book is worn on the edges and yellowed from time, but the book is just as good of a read as it was back then, only this time I have my own "Old Dan/Little Ann" at my side. As I read about Billy's adventures and laughed at Little Ann's antics, I couldn't help but give Nubs a good pat on the side. I remembered wanting a Red-boned Coonhound after reading the book because their coat color was stunning and the look of the dog overall was amazing. I ended up getting my red dog without even knowing.

Nubs is a dead split between Old Dan's "run into trouble head first and ask questions later" personality and Little Ann's "playful, caring, loving" ways. So as I was reading the book again, I could see Nubs doing everything these dogs did and more. I could feel the excitement of Billy's Coon Hunting Championships, and cried at the end since I know the pain that Billy felt.


I may not be a religious person but I do believe things happy for a reason. Nubs was given to me in a time where I needed him the most and has held my hand in times where I wasn't sure why I should get up the next morning. Nubs to me is my Old Dan and Little Ann. There is a reason for everything, and everything has a reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment