Thursday, May 6, 2010

2 Birds, 1 Stone

Have I mentioned lately how much I love Nubs?

Having a Pit Bull (or any other "dangerous breed"), you have to develop a thicker skin, and tonight I am grateful that I've developed a nice thick one. You'll hear how "dangerous" your dog is, how they can't be nice at all, that they are a "ticking time bomb" and you'll hear stories about a neighbor's friend's wife's brother-in-law's best friend's sister who was attacked and face torn off by their "pit bull" that just "turned" one day.

On Friday I had my wisdom teeth removed, all four of them at once so Nubs hasn't been getting as much exercise as I would normally and as much as he likes. So it's been rather interesting around my house with Nubs finding his own ways to keep himself entertained. I mean who would have thought that Pit Bulls could LITERALLY walk on walls with bones in their mouths?? I didn't nor did the picture frame that now has a paw print where the glass use to be *shrugs*. Today I ended up having to go back to the dentist for a Dry Socket. If you've never dealt with Dry Socket before count yourself lucky. It was honestly the worst constant pain I've ever felt in my life.

So I ended up calling in to work today to take it easy from the lack of sleep caused by the Dry Sockets, but Nubs would have nothing to do with that. Ever tried sleeping with a 66lb dog jumping on the bed? How about one with a bone in their mouth whining? Let me save you the trouble, it doesn't work. Finally I gave up hooked Nubs up to the bike and took off for a jog.

On our biking path lives one of the Humane Society workers that worked at the shelter when Nubs was there. Very nice woman and she owns a Mini Pincher who she allows off leash in their yard *sighs*. Nubs isn't the best with off leash dogs because of all the attacks we've had and I spot Rusty (I think that's his name)and tell Nubs to "Wait" while she and her boyfriend/husband grabs Rusty and she comes over and loves on Nubs. After a bit, they put Rusty back down and him and Nubs start sniffing each other and so starts Nubs's "stiff legged walk". It's a walk that can go either way so I just have to watch his head and ears to see if he's going to play or fight. This time Nubs wants to play, and the game is on. Here is the small yet overweight Min-Pin running around and growling, biting, and snapping at this huge, 66lb Pit Bull in their front yard. It was a sight to see, and all of us were laughing, until the neighbor from hell showed up.

This Neighbor owns 2 Miniature Schnauzers and has met Nubs before but he didn't think Nubs was actually a Pit Bull the last time he loved on him. This time he knew what Nubs was and the insults started to fly. First he walks a WIDE circle around Nubs and myself talking about how he just "doesn't trust Pit Bulls" and "they are just going to snap and kill everyone". He's standing there telling me that Nubs was a "killer" and that he was just going to "Snap Rusty's head clear off". The tone the guy was saying it in was one of half-kidding half-serous. Like he wasn't trying to offend me, but yet was telling me truthfully what he thought.

Meanwhile, while this guy is saying all these things, Rusty is laying into Nubs with the snapping and growling (but every time Nubs would back off, Rusty would encourage Nubs with play bows and such so it was all in fun) while Nubs wouldn't even open his mouth toward Rusty. I pointed this out to the guy and he just started watching the play action between Nubs and Rusty laughing right along with us. In the end, He decides that Nubs can't be such a bad dog and gives Nubs a good pat on the head and a good rub down and Nubs sucks it up like Nubs does; a smile on his face and a wag in his step.

As I left, I turned to the guy and said "So, what do you think about the meanest Pit Bull in the area?" All he could do is smile and say "Well, I still have all my fingers and toes so I guess it's not all Pit Bulls that are mean". Not a perfect answer, but I'll chalk it up as a win on my board.

Nubs's actions speak louder then any words that come out of my mouth. Not only have we started to change another mind on the breed, but Nubs got some MUCH needed socialization with dogs in a positive manner.

I <3 Nubs!

No comments:

Post a Comment