Monday, February 15, 2010

What a Night...

Tonight was the second to last class for agility. I can't believe how FAST this 6 week course is going! I also don't think I will be taking another agility course with this place again. They are GREAT for obedience classes but Agility is still new to them as far as teaching it, and I think they move way to fast for the dogs to really learn anything.

Tonight my Boyfriend decided to come to class with us just to check out what everything is about and to laugh at me when Nubs does his normal clownieness. It was great having him along since he really isn't much of a dog lover, but is really trying to make an effort to at least understand what I'm doing and know enough about the subjects to give me peptalks when I'm feeling down. He tries, and that is all I can ask.

Tonight Nubs was being his normal ADHD self. He just can not focus on anything at all. His mind is going about 10 different directions and it's just really hard to get his to focus on anything non-human. Like tonight we were playing around with the teater-totter again and Nubs just refuses to look at anything besides my hand or the trainer. It's just the darnedest thing. I really wish Spring would hurry up and come so that I could get outside and do some really serous training just one-on-one with these objects and let Nubs really get use to them. My house is just not large enough for anything inside.

Nubs is doing much better though at listening to me and jumping on command. Although if he smells something interesting, you bet your behind he's stopping and smelling it rather it is in a tunnel or in the fabric part of the chute. Yes... Picture this:
We start off a short run with the Chute. I tell him "Tunnel" and he starts to run through it while I dash to the other end to catch the lightening fast sprinter. You can see him running though the chute when he just stops dead in his tracks and starts flailing around. I think "oh man! He forgot what this was! I bet hes scared!" so I grab the end of the chute and open it to call him out. There is Nubs SITTING in the chute's fabric part just sniffing away at something on the fabric. He was just so into it that even a call wouldn't get his attention away from it. I had to climb in and drag his 60lb butt out of it. Darn dog!

We continue on through the tire pretty much without an issue and then over a jump. Perfect! On to the tunnel and Nubs runs right into it and I make a mad dash to the end. If I ever video tape it, you'll see that when I mean dash I mean, full out run as fast as I can to the end to catch his leash because he'll normally be running out the end of the tunnel as I just come around the end. I make it to the end and no Nubs. You can see him stopped about half way though going back and forth, back and forth, and back and forth again. I get down on my hands and knees and here is Nubs sniffing the side of the tunnel again! I'm starting to wonder what smells so good since the tunnel is his favorite thing besides the A-frame. I call Nubs out and he runs out the opposite side of the tunnel, turn around and dashes though it right into my arms. Yes he jumped and landed in my arms. Laughter can be heard across the room and Nubs is just happy as heck. Darn dog is so proud of himself and I can't even be upset at that smile. He just loves running and the tunnels and the jumps.

So it looks like I have a 3 day weekend this up coming weekend. I'm not sure what I'll do but you can bet it will involve some training with Nubs and agility and focusing on the task at hand not the treats in mom's treat bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment