Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Great Visit to Petco and TSC!

Just when I get frustrated with Nubs, he reminds me why he is such a great dog.

It was that time of the month again. Time for a food run. Normally I go to Petco then Tractor Supply Co. but I decided to switch things up by starting off at TSC where I get Nubs food. I took Nubs on a nice LONG jog before heading out, so I was hoping that there was enough of the edge taken off where he's act like a dog instead of some hyper maniac. Well it worked.

We walk into TSC and Nubs goes straight for the treat jar behind the counter. The lady as the counter was just in pure awe of Nubs. He walks right up to her, and plops his but of the ground and just gives her that stare. Dog owners everywhere know the "Feeeeeeeeeeddddddddd mmmmmmmeeeeeee" stare with the big puppy eyes, ears tilted a little and the tongue hanging out to the side like "I haven't eaten in DAYS!!!!". Nubs has that look mastered and I have yet to find a human that can resist it. So She gives him the treat and just loves him all over. We walk around and talk to some people... well I talk Nubs gets a full body rubdown with kisses and treats. How does one get so lucky? Most people can not believe that yes he is over 3 years old and yes he is a rescue. His big eyes and puppy-like face just fools everyone.

I was looking at some Garden carts for weight pulling and a new crate that is just a bit smaller this his 42" crate. I ask one of the employees if he could get the 36" down and if I could see if it fits him (he won't be in it for too long so even though he can't sit up, he can stand alright and lay down alright). He brings it down, and opens it up for me, and I just say "Nubs, cage!" and Nubs walks right in and I close the door behind him. I ask Nubs to sit, down, and stand to make sure it fits him alright and then I ask him to wait while I open the crate and grab his leash. I turn around to the guy that is helping me and his face is priceless. Just pure shock. He just says "Man, if my Jack Russel just had 1% of the obedience your dog has... I'd just be set!" I couldn't help but smile. He really is something special!

Now if I had to choose between Petco or TSC, I will ALWAYS choose TSC. I LOVE the employees there, I love the way they act around Nubs, I love how they are more then willing to help carry things for me (a 60lb dog and 40lbs with of dog food and a new crate, yes I would LOVE some help!!!). Toys are cheaper there, food is cheaper there, and the people are so much nicer. That being said, I like Petco because it is much busier, more dogs in the store, and so many more distractions. It's a GREAT place for training.

We walk into Petco and there is of course a rescue group in there with Bunnies and Cats. We had just had an encounter at TSC with Bunnies (the first time Nubs has actually seen rabbits ever) so another GREAT time for some training. We walk around, get stopped by all the Pit Bull people (you know who they are, because they see you and instantly break out in a HUGE grin as they walk up to you) and then something amazing happened. This kid about 8 or 9 walks toward Nubs, and Nubs SITS DOWN! Normally Nubs greets everyone in a full body wag but he actually sat down for the child. The kid goes to pet Nubs (I'm watching out of the corner of my eye seeing what would happen) and his mom YELLS "STOP!" Here in my mind I'm thinking "Oh great here it comes" but the woman just said "You better ASK before you touch ANY dog. You know better then that!" So the kid asked and just loved on Nubs a little before they walked away. Nubs the whole time sitting on his butt just happy as heck. I couldn't have been prouder and he knew it.

I see all the flaws in Nubs, like the fact he likes to jump on people or put his paws on the counter to see if he can get a treat out of the workers (because EVERYONE has treats in the eyes of Nubs). I go to check out (needed some new shampoo for Nubs's bath tonight) and the cashier was just commending me on Nubs. She volunteers at a local shelter (not the same one I got Nubs from) who takes in some Pit Bulls that have the best temperaments they can find and she was bragging to the shelter director about how well trained Nubs is and how much work I've done with him. I could help but say Thank-you to her. I don't feel that great about the work I've done with him. Yes he is better trained then 90% of the dogs out there, but I just know he could be better. I guess I shouldn't look down at what we have to work on and look at how far he has come.

So it was a great day out for us. A bunch more people have seen a Pit Bull acting great, I informed one girl who is thinking about adopting the breed the truth about DA (As much as you socialize your dog, it can happen at any point in their life. When you bring a Pit into your life, you should be OK with a DA dog, even if they never become DA, just always be prepared for it.) and enjoyed a few hours out with my dog. Gosh I love this boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment