Saturday, June 5, 2010

Dog Day in the Park

This weekend I had to make a choice, go to a weight pull in Three Rivers or go to Dog Day in the Park in Grand Rapids. Last year I went to Dog Day in the Park http://www.dogdayinthepark.com/ and had a blast with Nubs, so I decided to head that direction today, and man was it fun.

It's been a while since Nubs was out in that sort of event where we was walking in, out, and around all these dogs so I knew it was the right choice to keep up on his social skills which has been slicking due to all the attacks over the past few months. Nubs did excellent as always. He was really good with letting all the strange dogs sniff him and sniffing them himself. I can't be prouder of him.

We showed up at the event about 11:30am after getting loss trying to take the back way to the event. So it took me 2 hours to get there instead of the 1hr 30mins. Go figure. I really need my GPS back. Nubs was wound up and ready to go as we began the walk into the event.
IMG_1258
After marking like a mad man, we begin the event by walking though some of the crowd doing "sits" and "watches" getting warmed up for the trek around the area. We go from vendor to vendor with Nubs stopping in at every booth saying "HI! Treat please!!!!". If they weren't paying attention to him, Mr. Social would just walk up to them and nudge their hands with his nose like he was saying "Um HELLO! I'm down here!!" Trying to convince Nubs that not everyone in the world wants to pet him is just impossible. He's such a nut.
IMG_1273
"Can't say no to this smile!"

I don't know what it is about Nubs, but people just seek him out to pet and love on him. We were approached more times then I could count today with people saying "I saw you at this event last year and I just LOVE your dog" or "I saw you earlier and just had to search you down". What is it about this dog that just has people searching for him? I don't mind really, it's a great time to chat it up and educate people on the breed. I guess I'm just shocked at the response I get when out with Nubs.

He did end up showing people what the breed is all about though. We entered in the "Fastest Kisser in 15seconds" and took 3rd place. Lost by 6 kisses. *shrugs* In my view it was a major win. Hundreds of people got to watch a girl get slobbered on by her Pit Bull surrounded by other dogs. Can't have better propaganda then that.

Then Nubs got a special treat, he ran his first Lure Course ever. He was hot already but enjoyed himself. His first run was PERFECT! He LOVED it. I wish I got that one on video but I was so sure that I was going to have to run it with him that I didn't bother to tape it :( But here are runs 2 and 3

I should have kept my mouth quiet!

Part 2

And run three


And to show you what it should look like, here is a Doberman, A Boxer and then 2 Boxers running the course:



Overall a very fun day!

1 comment:

  1. I know why they love Nubs! I was never a Pittie fan until I "met" him. It's his face, pink nose, goofy look, always smiling. I fell in love with him the minute I saw him. How could you NOT love that face? I would seek him out if I saw him as well. You have a great dog there...glad you both had fun.

    ReplyDelete