Friday, June 18, 2010

The Limp, It Returns!

So Nubs limp has gone from not much of anything to he can hardly walk on his back leg at times. So yesterday I called the vet and made an appointment for this morning to get him in. 8:40am rolls around and we walk into the vet.
Video of Nubs limping (not the best but you can see it)


Nubs has this thing where he KNOWS that when ever he is out and about and there is a desk or table, the people behind that desk/table has wonderful things called TREATS! So we walk in to the Vet and what does Mr. Social Butterfly do? Why what any larger dog would do, jump up and places his paws on the top of the desk and with this look of "Please feed me" in his eyes, begs for treats with a mournful whimper that says it all. The Vet Techs fall for it, hook, line and sinker.

After I pull Mr. "I'm never fed and I'm horribly abused. Please love me because this woman doesn't" away from the desk and 4 vet techs loving on him, I get him on the scale. 67.7 lbs. WHAT THE HECK?!?!?! Tell me, how in the WORLD does this dog GAIN weight when he's eating less food then ever??? He should be around 64lbs maybe a bit less. While he doesn't look fat at all, he's getting to the point where you can only slightly see his ribs and that beautiful waist line is starting to slowly go away. I never can win.

We sit down in the waiting room and Nubs HAS to sit with me on the bench. So much to the amusement to the 5 other people in the waiting room, decides to shove his head in my stomach and then does a roll over and I barely catch him as his back in falls off the bench. Doofus... Everyone in the room just lets out a laugh which instantly in Nubs mind equals "GOOFY TIME" and that's what he does. He just starts to give me a face full of kisses, slaps me across the face with his paw, and puts that ol' silly grin on his face while looking at everyone in the room. Yeah, He's knows how to work a crowd.

We get into the room, and this is where he starts to act a bit scared. The last few times we've been at the vet he's ended up getting poked, prodded, and violated so he started to get a bit worried. That's when I pulled out the bestest most wonderest treat on the face of the earth, CHEESE. Guess who didn't care one darn bit about all the things the vet tech was doing to him? Yup, Nubs did end up catching the poor vet tech off guard though and have her a nice kiss, when her mouth was wide open. Ick!

The rest of the event was sorta uneventful. The Vet took Nubs into the back room to knock him out and play with that leg. Talk about amusing watching this huge Pit Bull walking toward the lobby tripping over his own paws, running into the Science Diet cart, and then tumbling head over paws onto the floor landing with his legs going in all different directions, and then just looking up at the laughter roaring through the room with that silly grin of his like he was saying "I meant to do that!"

The Good news? His hips look perfect. The vet did some x-rays to make sure he wasn't missing something (and didn't charge me for them!) and there is no movement in the knee that shouldn't be there.
The Bad news? His knee is unnaturally tight, and almost too tight for it to work at all.

Solution? Rest rest rest rest rest! 4 weeks of R&R and a half of a pill a day of Deramaxx. No running, jumping, pulling, agility, nothing fun. Just short, easy walks and nothing more.

Back to the vet in 4 weeks to see how things go.

3 comments:

  1. Phew, you had me worried there for a few minutes. Nothing worse than a bad knee. Butch is a damn pogo stick and it scares me all the time. Roxxy has an LP and I have to watch her too. Anyhoo...I'm soooo glad it's not too bad...except for the R&R for 4 weeks. But he's in good hands.

    Give the goofball an extra skritch behind the ears for me. Oh, and Roxxy's glad he's ok too..you know she has a crush on him, just like I do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How is Nubs doing? I can't get on DF (serious error message).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nubs is better. Still has the limp, but it's improving. Ever try to keep an hyperactive dog down? My house is falling apart lol!

    ReplyDelete