Monday, March 29, 2010

"What do you mean I can't go over it?"

*mutters*Ilovethisdog.... Ilovethisdog... Ilovethisdog... *ends muttering* I still don't believe it.

Tonight I knew would be trouble. Nubs wasn't focusing as we were doing his normal run before Agility Class and kept looking at everything besides where the bike was and kept almost getting hit by the bike. He wasn't paying attention to my commands and luckily he doesn't like to pull when I put so much back pressure on his harness (bad for weight pulling, good for biking) so he slowed down to a stop before he got hit by a car. I know it is my fault since I didn't work him at all this weekend because I wanted to completely relax that back leg of his, but goodness! Just LISTEN will ya?!?!

So we went to Agility Class and my boyfriend tagged along again. He's my moral booster and support for all the dumb things that Nubs WILL do in the class. There is no might anymore, it is now expected that he will do something to entertain the class. Tonight was no different.

Tonight we relearned the teeter-totter. This is the one thing Nubs isn't the greatest on. He likes to jump off of it when it moves and doesn't really pay attention to anything really. In his mind it goes something like so: "OHHH! Something to RUN on!!!!!"

I have issues with him and the trainer already. He LOVES the trainer too much. He would do anything for this woman. She is the only person that can run him in agility class besides me and Nubs will listen too. So she ended up having to walk away while I worked Nubs on the TT. It goes something like that:
Me: Nubs, easy!
Nubs: OH LOOK OH LOOK OH LOOK!!!!! *Runs and yanks me around*
Me: NUBS!!! ENOUGH
Nubs: What? I it looks like fun???
Me: SIT
Nubs: Run up it? OK! *Attempts to go up the TT again*
Me: NO! Nubs, you are on my LAST nerve. KNOCK IT OFF *Stares Nubs down*
Nubs: What? Why are you giving me that look... LOOK! ANOTHER DOG!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!
Me: *alpha rolls Nubs*

Joking on the Alpha roll part. I wouldn't do that. Nubs would either jump up and knock me on my butt to give me kisses or stay on his back and demand a belly rub.

I run one run with Nubs and he is just so HAPPY that he gets to run that he starts doing zoomies. I swear he's like a kid in a candy store. So the first run through we learned, Nubs needs to sit and refocus every other obstacle. No problem.

Next run, my boyfriend attempts to run Nubs over the course. That was a disaster. Nubs didn't want to run with him so I hid out of sight and watched as they started. When Nubs got to the second obstacle, he bolts from my Boyfriend and takes off running toward the crowd. He JUMPS over the little 3ft fence and heads directly for a Pointer that doesn't like really any other dogs with the Trainer and my boyfriend on his heels. I just stepped out of behind the a-frame (which was in storage) and yelled "HEY! COME!" and Nubs turned and headed directly to me. Goodness I love that dog's recall.

This next run I run him. He is so EXCITED to run this time that he decides to attempt to jump the 3ft fence that divides the waiting area and the running area since we have a few dogs that like to make a break for the door when they get running. They all decide to stop at the fence line, Nubs decides "Fence? I won't let no freaking fence stop me!" and over he goes. Well I'm on a short 3ft lead and I go to correct him but he instead of stopping before he jumps, does a jump and ends up landing on the fence. This is the type of fence you see at a lot of outdoor events that are in small sections about 4 to 10ft wide and then are just latched on some small colored board. Well Nubs knocked all 3 sections down, landing with that goofy face like "Oops. That was FUN!!!!!! Lets do it again!" Everyone in class just starts LAUGHING, I'm beat red, my boyfriend looks as if he wants to melt into his chair and the Trainer is giving Nubs a sweet-talked scolding. You know the scolding that you give the dog in a happy super-duper sweet voice while your actually using words that would make a sailor blush? Yeah that one.

We run the course pretty well, and call it a day. We are watching the next woman go up and I'm talking to a woman who owns an Australian Shepherd. She makes a comment about how "happy" he is to do everything and how even though we had biked before class, and had done all of the class he was still a "bundle of energy". I just replied "Yep, there is a reason why Terriers have the nick name "Terror Terriers". They just go and go and go." The Trainer overheard us talking, and said very loudly "Yup! That is why they have that Nickname!".

I have to give it to this Agility Trainer though. She puts up with Nubs and myself so well, and just loves Nubs attitude. She is a wonderful woman. Looks like we might be getting together in the next few weeks to do some drag sledding with our dogs. I can not wait to do it. It sounds like a blast!

No comments:

Post a Comment