Monday, July 20, 2015

Oh My! Flying Pit Bulls!

As part of our Search and Rescue training, we sometimes may have to do some "strange" things.  This month we had a specialized training which involved: ropes, harnesses, heights, and anxiety.  Any guesses??  If you said rappelling, then you would be CORRECT!

Not many dogs get to add rappelling to their resume but now Peanut can!

So some common questions I've been asked about our latest adventure:

Why would you ever need to know how to do that?
In the world for SAR, you never know what you may need to expect.  Tomorrow I could be called to a place like up in the Upper Peninsula (Slim chance but it could happen) and might need to get to a place at the bottom of a rock feature or the bottom of a deep hole.  The only safe way to get there is by rope, so by learning now that something I won't have to worry about then and won't have to worry about how my dog will react.

How did Peanut do?  Was she scared?
She did FANTASTIC!  Once she was in the harness, she just relaxed, and took it all in stride.  She was never scared and fully trusted us humans to not put her in harms way.  I've actually always thought this was something that we would have to do so from the time she was a puppy I've taught her that when she was off the ground, she needed to relax her body.

I had someone else take Peanut for me since, well I've never rappelled before and I wanted to make sure she was as safe as possible.  The person in the photo has a lot of experience with rappelling so I knew she was in much safer hands.  My girl's safety is my number one concern.

Now since I don't have permission, I blurred out the humans faces.  Gotta be careful you know, but ENJOY!
Peanut harness

 edited

1edited

Going Over-1

Can't wait until our next adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment