Sunday, April 18, 2010

Nubs Earned his UWP!

Welcome UWP DM's Nutter Butter Nub CGC.

This weekend I took Nubs to the Mid West Weight Puller Club's Pull out in Leslie Michigan and to say it was a success is just putting it lightly. I am so proud of Nubs, I could scream. I honestly feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

First a quick rundown for anyone that is unfamiliar with Weight Pulling. There are 3 different types of pulls: Snow, Cart, and Rails and each has it's own differences. Snow pulls are the hardest since your pulling sleds on snowish-ice. Carts are the middle and depending on the type of track your pulling on depends on how well the dogs are going to do. Track pulls are like on railroad tracks and are the easiest to pull on and these pulls are where you get your massive weight pulled.

This weekend's event was a cart pull on dirt. I actually enjoy cart pulls because you get a more realistic view on what your dog can really pull if he would have to pull on a farm or in the back yard. Tracks are fun just so you can say "Yup, I have a dog that can pull (Insert some high amount here)" but for working on a farm or in your yard that's not going to help.

The last time Nubs did a cart pull, was his very first pull back in Sept. 09. He did just shy of 800lbs coming in second place beating a lot of seasoned pullers. I honestly didn't believe what everyone said about Nubs at this time. A few respected members of the weight pulling community told me that he had a lot of great potential but I wasn't sure. After this weekend, I believe everything that they said, and I am thrilled.

This weekend, Nubs completed his FIRST EVER UKC title UWP for Weight Pulling, and he did it with a BANG. Because of his troubles with his legs in the past few months I've held him back in pulling. Only pulling enough to count for his "legs" (what he needs to pull to earn points to get his title) and then taking him out. This weekend I let him go, and boy did he GO. On Saturday Nubs pulled 1,740lbs to pull in a first place finish for the 70lb class. He also ended up getting a "Most Weight Pulled in Division 2" and "Most Percentage Pulled" at 26.36% *Does happy dance*
Photo taken by my friend Amanda from the Michigan Classic in March.
Nubs Pulling

On Sunday Nubs blew me away. I didn't think the boy could do it again. I mean there is no way that he could surpass Saturday right? Right? HA! All I can say is Nubs ROCKS! He pulled in a Second Place finish at 1,920lbs! He could have done 2200lb but someone had to go potty and I didn't realize it until it was too late. He just wouldn't pull, but as soon as I walked him outside he dropped and had to go potty. Poor guy.

Nubs earned a good sleep for that pull!
IMG_7132-1

So a new title, a first AND second place finish this weekend. It couldn't have been better. I'm just in shock that all of our practicing has done it's job with Nubs. He pulled so perfectly, just slow, head down, constant pressure in a straight line. I'm amazed, in shock, and so thrilled.

I'll say it again Nubs, YOU ROCK!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. And this is exactly why our %$@$#@ forum should have a Sports Dog section!

    I'm so happy for you! CONGRATS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Nubs! You're awesome! Give him an ear rub from me. I love both photos.

    ReplyDelete