Monday, January 18, 2010

The First Day of Agility Class

Tonight was the first Agility class for Nubs and I. I gave him a good mile run with the scooter, and thought “man that should at least take the edge off” HAHAHAH! Man that was a funny joke! Sometimes I forget that after the words “Pit Bull” comes this small word “Terrier”. Terriers do not seem to have an off switch and I need to remember that.

I pull into the drive way at the Agility class and allow Nubs to sniff around and potty. No sooner then I get Nubs out of the car did one of the staff members taking her dog to her car yells over “Hey! Is that Nubs? Man has he gotten big!” I’m quite shocked that people remember my boy. Then again, I guess it is kind of hard to forget a dog that literally dragged a 300lb man 10ft on his stomach, only to stop and kiss him once he got to where I was for the recall. Ahhh memories from obedience class.

I walk into the building and there was a few people and dogs already waiting. Nubs was acting just how I knew he would, like Nubs. When he goes into a new place he always is extremely hyper (the reason why I have him on a prong collar still). He jumps, whines, sniffs, darts, and tries to greet every person that comes near. It’s funny to everyone on the outside, but for me, it’s a tad annoying. It takes about 10mins for him to calm down and act only like a tad bit of a fool instead of the biggest idiot around.

The first task is the Standard Jump. The bars are only on the bottom slot, so for the taller dogs it’s more like stepping then jumping. We were the last to go so I watched as a Golden, a Pit Bull, 2 mixed Shepherds, a Mini Schnauzer and a Boxer did these jumps with ease. All of these dogs were following their owners, listening, and just easing into it. I knew Nubs knew what “over” meant so I wasn’t too worried about him not doing it, and I knew he would do it well. Yeah he did it well all right. He took off like a champ, jumping all 3 jumps dragging me along beside him because I just am not coordinated enough to run at a full speed holding onto a speeding Pit Bull’s leash and making sure that I miss all the jumps with my feet. When we made it to the end, Nubs slides into a sit, and just looks at me like “What is your problem? Keep up next time will ya?” Thanks Nubs, the laughter of the class makes me feel wonderful. The big laugh was caused when we did the off leash run over the jumps.

I let the trainer grab Nubs and I told her “Be careful, he WILL pull”. Her only reply was “Oh I did weight pulling, I can handle it”. SURE maybe your dogs, but you’ve never dealt with a 60lb Pit Bull that is as strong as an ox. I make my way to the other end, and tell Nubs to “Come”. Forget about asking him to go over the jumps, the trainer didn’t even get to move her hand before Nubs took off and I barely had time to register that Nubs was coming before I was clobbered by a kissing Pit Bull. Yes, on my butt, holding onto his collar, with him on top of me, licking me. Laughter from the class was a must. At least we are having fun right???

Next is the Tunnel. Nubs LOVES the tunnel and has a bad habit of the zoomies the first time going through it, so I was kind of worried about him running back through the tunnel like he normally does. Why is it dogs will NEVER do what you expect them to?

That poor trainer’s arms must be hurting her tonight. She was having a heck of a time holding him still to get through the tunnel. Nubs acted like he had NEVER seen it before. I had to actually climb INSIDE of the tunnel to get Nubs attention then he decided that he’d come though it… with me still in side of it.

After I caught my breath again from him flat out clobbering me in the chest, he was a champ at it. The last 2 times we did the tunnel, we walked the dog up to the tunnel and as they went in, we had to drop the leash and catch them as they ran out the other side. Ever attempt to outrun a Pit Bull imitating a bat coming out of hell? Yeah it was fun attempting to out run Nubs and not get bulldozed over or miss him when we got to the end. Everyone got a good laugh over me attempting to catch him coming out of the tunnel.

I think Nubs main goal in these things is to make people laugh. I have never seen a dog that smiles so big, ears back, glazed look; full out body wags when people laugh at him. He looks at me like “See mom! They LIKE me!!!!!!” Funniest dog I have ever seen.

The Weave Poles were pretty much uneventful but the Chute made up for the lack of laughs. Again this dog just never does what I expect him to. The first time he went up to the Chute, he wasn’t so sure, but as soon as he saw my shirt at the end up the tunnel (I didn’t even make it to where I could see him at the other end), he BOLTED down the Chute and right into my arms. Yes, arms. He came out of the Chute and jumped into my arms. I dropped him instantly (60lbs is HEAVY!) and he just thought it was the coolest thing. The next time we came it was our turn for the Chute, forget about him waiting with the trainer and I going to the other end to call him, He ran right into the Chute and came out the end no problem. Of course I wasn’t expecting it, so I was a little lagged behind and that just made Nubs do a “Look at me!!!!!!” dance, tongue hanging out as far as it can be.

So the first night of Agility class was great. Nubs really enjoys the tasks and loves having so many people just in awe of him. I was asked so many times how old he was and just told that he was so beautiful. I guess because I’ve owned him for so long now that I no longer see that aura that he has, but it’s times like these that I am reminded about how special this dog is, and how much of a clown he is.

Next week: A-frame, Tire jumps, Curved Tunnels, and the Table. This will be interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! This is Alex927 from DF and I have to say that reading this is not only heart warming and endearing but extremely encouraging for me as it gives me hope for my boy Wade.

    Keep blogging and I'll keep reading!!!

    ReplyDelete