Friday, April 29, 2011

Week Two: A Good Night?

I fully expected to go into class last night with a wound up, crazy, a tad bit psychotic Nubs since we've had 4 days of constant rain and I was right. Walking into the Training hall Nubs was crazy. He was all over the place, jumping, acting a fool, jumping at people. He was acting like an out of control dog that had no manners and was never taught a bit of training in all his life. How bad was he?
-He knocked me into a mirror by jumping up on me
-He tried to be hover dog, and hover over to the dog walking next to use while in a heel
-He attacked and killed a hamburger.... A stuffed hamburger...

This was in the first 15mins of a 50 min class. I was about to leave, no use to having a distracting dog for everyone else when out of no where, it's like I had a new dog. I mean it was like a switch turned on and Nubs started acting like a trained dog. Stays were working as were recalls (we moved any extra humans away from the recall area since Nubs likes to visit a tad bit to much) and even heels (besides that annoying Hamburger that Nubs took a liking to). After class ended I had Nubs in a heel as everyone stood around and talked, and we weaved in and out of people and other dogs like it was nothing. It was amazing honestly. It was like the good old days where Nubs had great eye contact, watched my every move, and tried not to play with every dog possible. Amazing.

One thing I've found funny is the fact that Nubs can pick out other Pit Bulls a mile away. He'll zoom in on these dogs and try to get them to play. After class I stopped and spoke to this other Pit Bull owner (10month old black and white Pit Bull mix) and it was funny as heck as Nubs tried to get the puppy to play with him. Lots of Nubs play bows (which isn't what a normal dog would consider a play bow but a challenge instead. It resembles a dog's "LETS PLAY CHASE!" body language. It's a quick half bow, with a bounce and a forward run. I always look for that when I'm introducing him to other dogs because I know when he does that it's safe to let him go. They didn't get to play today, might have his friend Stacker over at some point, but it was nice to see he wanted to play. Even at 4 years of age, he's still a puppy at heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment